Conant Avenue United Methodist Church has a rich history with the Detroit Renaissance District of the United Methodist Church.
Because of an urban renewal project in the City of Detroit in the year 1966, two prominent African American Methodist Churches Mitchell Memorial Methodist Church (est. 1930), which was located at 13553 Maine St. and Mary Palmer (est. 1944) which was located at 2970 E. Lafayette, both members of the now dissolved Lexington Conference of the Methodist Church, became memers of the Detroit Conference of the Methodist Church. Under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. the two churched merged together on November 9, 1966 to form Robert E. Jones Methodist Church. Within a year of it's inception the church name was changed to Conant Avenue Methodist Church. In 1967, a new building was under construction for the newly formed church. In 1968, after the merger of the United Brethren and the Methodist church combined, the Lexington Conference was abolished and Conant became a member of the North Central Jurisdiction. The conference convened and all Methodist Churches adopted the name United Methodist Church. Conant Avenue thus became Conant Avenue United Methodist Church and moved into its new facility at 18600 Conant Avenue, Detroit, MI 48234.
In July of 2020 in the middle of the pandemic, Mt. Hope United Methodist Church located at 15400 E. 7 Mile Rd officially closed it doors. Many of the current members chose to transfer their membership to Conant Avenue. They were welcomed with open arms and immediately intergrated into the family at Conant Avenue.
Conant Avenue United Methodist Church has made significant contributions to the United Methodist Church. Conant Ave. was instrumental in purchasing a Van in 1984 equipped with a library and first aid unit and sent it to the African nation of Liberia.
In 1981 Conant Avenue was instrumental in helping to develop a new church start, Fellowship Community United Methodist Church, located at 9401 Chalmers in Detroit, Michigan. Conant supplied one of the first African American members to the General Board of Ministries in New York in the person of Mary Good Hicks.
Here at Conant, we give thanks and praise to God for what he has been able to do through us and sometimes in spite of us.